Orange County Taxpayers Association Mission Statement
OCTax is the only countywide organization whose exclusive focus is to represent taxpayers on governmental tax and spending policy issues. Its mission is to ensure that taxes and tax-supported programs are fair, understandable, cost-effective, and good for the economy.
A Good Tax Is Fair
• A good tax distributes the burden evenly.
(A bad tax splits the tax roll into high-payers and low-payers.)
• A good tax provides services that are useful to the general public.
(A bad tax is levied, in lieu of a fee or benefit assessment, to give services to a few.)
• A good tax is levied only to pay for needed services.
(A bad tax is used as an instrument of social policy, to reward or punish those currently in or out of favor with government.)
A Good Tax Is Understandable
• A good tax is visible.
(A bad tax may be hidden, it may be disguised as a fee or assessment, or it may hide the cost of government.)
• A good tax is levied and spent by the jurisdiction closest to the voters.
(A bad tax is levied by a level of government that is remote from taxpayers, and spent on services of least local value.)
• A good tax probably would be approved by voters for generally desired services.
(A bad tax would be rejected by the voters, if they were given a chance to vote on it.)
• A good tax is identifiable with the services it provides.
(A bad tax is swept into a general fund and spent on a confusing array of programs.)
A Good Tax Is Cost-Effective
• A good tax pays only for the few services that can be provided best by government.
(A bad tax pays for services that could be provided effectively by the private sector.)
• A good tax supports efficient and useful governmental programs.
(A bad tax is wasted on governmental programs of dubious or unexamined value.)
A Good Tax Is Good for the Economy
• A good tax pays for services that encourage growth of the private sector.
(A bad tax discourages business development or creates dependence on government.)
• A good tax is levied on consumption.
(A bad tax is levied on production.)
• A good tax encourages capital formation.
(A bad tax is levied on savings and investment.)
What are the Strengths of Orange CountyTaxpayers Association?
• “Most trusted organization on public affairs issues” according to three independent county-wide polls over the years
• Top name identification among voters
• Clearly focused Mission
• Staff has background, knowledge, and flexibility to meet members’ needs
• Solid issues analysis, consistent with Mission and years of precedent
• Nimble decision-making
• Offers members help on specific issues as well as general public policy